Friday, January 5, 2007

How Do They Knit This?


This scarf is all over Paris. Two years ago, I saw this type of knitting for the first time in, I believe, the Pierre Cardin window. At that time, I was puzzled about how it was produced. Especially because Jeff really would like a black cashmere scarf with a narrow red stripe. For him, I think I'll just leave a needle out of work, and then crochet up the ladder.

But this ubiquitous scarf! It almost appears to be woven with very narrow I-cords. They are available in cheap acrylic (20€) all the way up through cashmere (160€) And in many different color combinations: brights, pastels, shades of gray, earth tones, uglies. Just everything. Now that everyone has one---I think maybe I glimpsed similar at home before Christmas---I don't want one. But I am certainly curious about how they are made. The process may be "warp knitting" according to what I find on Google.

The last couple of days, we've walked all over Paris. Nicer weather (actually it has been rather nice the entire visit) and the realization that we are heading home soon both contributed. The fresh air and exercise also makes a good night's sleep, even without my own bed. We have the Temper-Pedic mattress---and have had for 10+ years---and there is nothing like it. I love the fact that I lie down, go to sleep, and sometimes never turn until morning! Very restful sleep. Every time I sleep on another mattress, I'm very much aware of tossing and turning all night!

Yesterday at lunch, we met some friends of friends who are living here. That is always fun. They are from California, living here for 10 years, and have a six year old daughter. The little girl is Elodie---what a perfect name. Hearing experiences of life with the French---you have to laugh.

Last night we had oysters at Le Dôme. Delicious oysters---they taste more of the sea than those from the Chesapeake Bay. Actually that makes sense because they are from the ocean, not the bay. And then we walked home. This distance can be walked in 25 minutes or so, if you walk and don't meander. Last night, we spend two hours detouring and wandering the streets of the VII arrondissment.

This may be my last post before we return the computer. That means "goodbye!" to the French keyboard. You really don't know how awful it is until you have experienced it for yourself. Picture this: I learned to type when I was 15 or 16. So for 42 years, every time I moved my fingers in a certain way, I received a little reward: The correct letter showed up on the paper or on the screen. Then suddenly, I am doing the exact same thing, and the "buzzer" sounds, I get an electric shock (so to speak) and the WRONG letter shows up. Pavlov is rolling in his grave! And you must use the "shift" key for numbers and the period. Such insanity.


Today is going to be another good day---already it is 50° but too early to tell if it is cloudy or clear. I want to buy one more thing---something special for Michael (my 10 year old nephew)---since he likes to cook and even dressed as a chef for Halloween. Can anyone guess what I have in mind?

Back home to paradise on Sunday. Currently I'm reading a "found" book: Red Gold by Alan Furst. I surrendered One Man's Bible. The style was too strange and dreamlike. I respect that this might be the only way he could express his political opinions but unfortunately, I no longer have the time---nor the inclination---to read everything! Red Gold is much more to my liking. A story of the French resistance set in Paris. Perfect. It is a short book, so I'll need to find something to read on the plane flight home.

No comments: